Sunday 16 May 2010

Good day out at the Mynd

Saturday 15th May I woke with a very heavy head (birthday the day before !) The weather forecast was showing it possibly too windy to fly but early - early? what I mean is when I dragged myself from bead with a fuzzy head and a dry mouth! - where was I, yes early signs looked good. Wendy and I jumped in the car and headed to the Mynd. Whilst stuck behind a tractor we saw some paragliders thermalling and gliding over the back of the Mynd on their cross country flights. Hmmm, could be good - are we late?
We arrived at the hill and dragged ourselves to take off just as a large dark cloud floated over. Spitting with rain I left my wing happy and dry inside the bag.
Thankfully the rain passed, the sky improved and the glider came out of the bag. The fickle wind kept dropping off to nothing, disturbed by thermals as I had a little play ground handling (STILL a difficult task) and doing little hops. Landing for a chat I timed it perfect to see the entire world take off and climb in a huge thermal! The wind picked up and I had to launch in a 'fresh breeze'.
Soon up and away (cracking 3.5m/s climb out) I flew over the back, through a thermal with Barney Woodhead, shouting hello to him on the way past.
Huge area shaded and downwind saw the less cautious pilots on a long glide to the ground. I hang back and kept high as the clouds decayed and allowed the sun on the ground....
Off again, gliding cloud to cloud I waved goodbye to the other paragliders at about 30km down wind, only seeing sail planes etc after that.
Thermals varied in strength but I spent a lot of time circling in poor lift and skirting round the edges of clouds at base, not really paying attention to wind direction but just trying to chill and fly the clouds.
I was hungover, cold, tired, and oh, did I mention I have a bad cold at the moment? Wendy says am I sure it's not Man Flu! ;-) (that's the last of the moaning - promise!) but just kept the mantra of 'one more glide, then maybe a thermal' going as the KM clocked by.
Then, towards the end of the flight I became boxed in by airspace with just the narrowest of corridors between the Oxford Airport ATZ and an adjacent restricted area. Low and gliding round the cylinders I could not believe my luck when I connected with a climb right in the middle of the gap! I climbed approx 2000'whilst drifting through the gap!! Result!
That turned out to be the last climb. From there I glided to Oxford, had a look around then set out down wind to maximise distance.
Landing=result!
Landed in nice grassy field next to a plant nursery. Whilst packing up I was whistled over by a grey haired guy taking his granddaughter for a walk. I had thoughts of the traditional lecture from farmer scenario but it turned out the man was called Richard, an ATOS Hang glider and microlight Pilot!
Packed up, Richard drove me to his friend Andrew's house (paraglider pilot) were I was plied with fresh coffee and Ibuprofen!
Wendy arrived half an hour later and we headed home, stopping for a pub meal on the way.
11:00 - arrive home
11:03 - in bed
11:04 - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Grand day out!

Flight;

Total Score 154.32k
Date 15th May 2010
Start 13:03
Finish 17:58
Duration 4hrs 55mins
Takeoff Long Mynd
Landing village SE of Oxford

For more details see;
http://www.xcleague.com/xc/flights/2010832.html

1 comment: